Level 3 Unit Standards
Welcome to Level 3 BCATS!!
Until 2017, the only building and construction-related unit standards and qualifications designed for secondary schools have been at Levels 1 and 2, with some Level 3 unit standards (intended for those undertaking apprenticeships) available for those doing Gateway.
There are eight Level 3 BCATS unit standards, which are:
- Flexible enough so that teachers/students can select their own projects in any of BCITO's 15 sectors providing they meet the Stage 3 BCATS project criteria.
- Able to be achieved by undertaking projects in any of BCITO’s trades.
- Able to be achieved in school workshops, training establishments, outdoor areas, and/or in the workplace during industry placements (‘work experience’).
- Explicit that attaining commercial competence is not a requirement.
- Suitable for students to take as a subject as well as for those participating in 3+2, Gateway, or Youth Guarantee programmes.
- Responsive to the reality that some students will likely be enrolled for a full school year, whereas others may be able to engage in BCATS for only part of it.
The unit standards can be found through searching on the NZQA website. They are:
- US 29684 - Undertake a Stage 3 BCATS project (12 credits)
- US 29677 - Follow safe workplace practices, and contribute to a health and safety culture, in a BCATS environment (2 credits)
- US 29678 - Demonstrate knowledge of, select, and use materials for a Stage 3 BCATS project (4 credits)
- US 29679 - Develop and use BCATS project documentation for a Stage 3 BCATS project (8 credits)
- US 29680 - Communicate and work collaboratively in a Stage 3 BCATS project (5 credits)
- US 29681 - Measure and calculate for a Stage 3 BCATS project (3 credits)
- US 29682 - Select, use, and maintain tools, equipment and machinery for a Stage 3 BCATS project (4 credits)
- US 29683 - Incorporate other building, construction and allied trades into a Stage 3 BCATS project schedule (2 credits)